Sights in Urjala
Nuutajärvi Glass Village
In Nuutajärvi glass has been blown since 1793, and it is the oldest glass village in Finland. The buildings in the area date back to the 1850s, and they host workshops and shops. In addition to glassblowers, ceramists, metalsmiths and goldsmiths work in the village.
You can observe the artisans' work from close range and you can try glass or metal working if you book a time in advance. NuGO-shop, Puukonttori and workshops sell art and utensils.
Pruukinraitti 15, Nuutajärvi
Väinö Linna's Study
In the Urjala public library there is an exact replica of Väinö Linna's study and the original furniture and belongings from his home in Hämeenpuisto, Tampere. The Linna family moved there in 1962. Linna's entire personal property was donated to the library.
Tampereentie 4, Urjala
Ikaalan Isotalo Museum
The museum is the main building of an old farmhouse. Its oldest part, "pakari", was built in the 18th century as a smoke house. The Isotalo estate has been in the same place in Ikaala village since the 16th century.
This is a private museum, and it is open upon request.
Inquiries +35840 506 1238
Välkkiläntie 222, Ikaala
The wooden cruciform church designed by Martti Tolppo was completed in 1806. The clear-lined church is mainly neoclassical.
In summer, this roadside church is open to visitors from Tue to Fri from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Sun from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., otherwise open upon request.
Inquiries +35840 804 8832
Urjalantie 12, Urjala
Halkivaha church is a nice little church which was built between 1923 and 1926. The blueprints of the church and the bell tower were drawn up by the achitectural office Heikki Tiitola. Halkivaha church bells are the second biggest in Finland.
Inquiries +35840 707 3910
Vesilahdentie 1530, Halkivaha
Urjala's local museum is situated on a quiet and idyllic hill. It tells about the lifestyle of a Tavastian peasant in late 19th century and the life of a smallholder farmer-artisan in the 1940s. Free entrance. There is also a summer café in the museum.
Open in summer from Tue to Sun between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Inquiries +35840 335 4250
Urjalankylä Stone Sacristy
The first church in Urjala was perhaps built in Urjalankylä already in the 14th century. There is still a stone sacristy which dates back to 1520s or 1540s in the same location. The church and the cemetery became cramped for space, and in the early 19th century they decided to build a new church in the middle of the rural municipality in Laukeela.
Urjalankylä Stone Sacristy Punkalaitumentie 433, Urjalankylä
The reserve barracks memorial stone
The memorial of the reserve barracks is situated in the Huhti village on top of the cliff with a great view of the reserve barracks area.
The Urjala reserve troop included 18 parishes, and two age groups of men from the Southwest Häme region underwent the training. The training was continued for as long as 17 summers.
Taikayöntie runs along highway 230 and Nuutajärventie, and there are many services provided for tourists and cottagers along the road.
A national Taikayöntie scenic route runs from Urjala via Punkalaidun to Huittinen and makes a nice round inside Urjala around Rutajärvi lake.
A large portion of these fortresses protected by the Antiquities Act are on private land, and in the Urjala museum area there are trenches that the public can see for free.
I WW field fortresses
Between 1915 and 1917 the Russians started to build field fortresses to defend themselves from the German invasion. There is a large area of trenches and fortresses in Urjalankylä from that time.
Design Museum Prykäri
In summer season the museo is open between 23 June and 22 August from Tue to Sun between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Closed on Mondays. Open to groups upon request. Further information and group reservations: Jenni Sorsa, email@example.com, tel. 044 011 1501. Pruukinraitti, Nuutajärvi